When someone finds out that I grew up and currently live in Westchester County, one of the first questions they ask me (especially if it’s Fall) is “Where should I go apple picking?”
Let’s just say after 34 seasons of apple picking under my belt (ok maybe I haven’t gone apple picking every year of my life, but it’s up there), I’ve finally rounded up my favorite apple orchards and I’m ready to share! I only included the apple orchards close to New York City (less than 1 1/2 hours away), so that if you are traveling from NYC you don’t have to go to far, but if you’re looking for more options further away let me know because I definitely have a few favorites that are farther north!
Apple picking in New York and pretty much the entire Northeast region of the United States typically starts in early September and goes through mid October. I know many people usually think of apple picking as an October/Halloween activity, but I’m here to tell you that September is definitely a better month to apple pick in! If you wait too late into October the trees at the orchard very well many be bare!
New York just trails the state of Washington in terms of apple production and you’ll find some of the most beautiful apple orchards here many of which are close to New York City so you’ve definitely come to the right place!!
The Best Apple Orchards Close to New York City
- 63 Apple Tree Lane, Poughquag, NY 12570
- 70 Miles from NYC
- Open Daily 9PM-6PM
- Admission is FREE Monday-Friday and $15 on Weekends, Holidays or During Events!
- Daily activities include a Farm Market, Petting Zoo, Dog Park, Tap Room on top of Apple Picking & Pumpkin Picking.
- They also host events most weekends during the Fall. I went to Oktoberfest in September and it was a ton of fun!
- 9 Fishkill Farm Rd., Hopewell Junction, NY 12533
- 60 Miles from NYC
- Open Daily 9AM-6PM (Apple Picking from 9AM-5PM)
- Pick your own apples and pumpkins here in the Fall, it’s a $5 admission fee for fruit and vegetable picking.
- You can also drive right into the apple orchard if you’re only planning on apple picking or you can park in the front where the market is and take a hayride (on the weekends) or walk into the orchard.
- They also have a Farm Stand, Grill, Cider Garden and much more!
- I love that they charge you for apples by the pound instead of by the bag, so if you don’t fill up the whole bag they give you, you’re only charged what you take!
- 130 Hardscrabble Rd., North Salem, NY 10560
- 50 Miles from NYC
- Open Daily 9AM-6PM (Apple Picking from 9AM-4:30PM)
- $10 parking fee on weekends and Holidays.
- I’m not going to lie, this one isn’t necessarily my favorite because it’s pretty small and it gets crazy packed on the weekends being that it’s one of the closest and easiest to get to from New York City. If you’re headed apple picking on a weekday I say visit here, but on the weekend I’d head to one of the other places I recommended.
- Also worth noting you can’t bring your dogs here!
- 1335 White Hill Rd., Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
- 42 Miles from NYC
- Open Daily 10AM-5PM (Pick-You-Own from 10AM-4:30PM)
- They offer pick-your-own fruit and pumpkins in the Fall and after Thanksgiving you can Choose-n-Cut Christmas Trees here!
- They also have a Winery that is open on the weekends and the Apple Farm Market, Bakery and Country Shop open daily.
- 306 Rt 304, Congers, NY 10920
- 35 miles from NYC
- Open Daily 8:30AM-6PM (Apple picking 10AM-4PM)
- This is a smaller family fun farm so there’s not as many bells and whistles as other orchards. You can rent both picking poles and wagons while you’re there and they have hayrides!
- Worth noting that it’s cash only!
- 169 State Road 94S, Warwick, NY 10990
- 50 miles from NYC
- Open Daily 9AM-5PM
- Each car is charged $30 for 1/2 bushel bag (approx 22 lbs).
- They also have a dairy barn, farm animals, kiddie maze and play area.
- If you have kids this is definitely one of the better options, especially because the encourage you to bring a picnic lunch to eat in the orchard and spend the day.
Not Apple Picking, but equally as fun for the 21+ crowd:
- 2241 Albany Post Road., Walden, NY 12586
- 75 Miles from NYC
- Open Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday 11AM-6PM, Friday & Saturday 11AM-8PM
- While you can’t go apple picking at Angry Orchard you can still wander around the orchard and sample various ciders they make there.
- They have multiple tours you can take while you’re visiting and are able to buy the latest specialty ciders and small batch ciders you can only buy at the orchard.
PIN The Best Apple Orchards Close to New York City for LATER:
Location: Fishkill Farms | Fishkill, NY